Celebrate Black History!

Garrielle Baldwin, Staff Reporter

In America, some of us “African Americans” are not sure what our true black identity is. The word and phrase “Black” and “POC” (people/person of color) makes all people that are black skinned or mixed with black genetics, grouped into one category. Black History Month fills in that gap. The sense of missing some of our black identity is helped by learning about our past. The people who paved the way with inventions, words of freedom and entertainment that continue to inspire the masses. 

Although the month exists and people should show their pride for it, not everyone  acknowledges it the same way.  

Freshman Essence Smith, celebrates Black History Month every year with her family.

“My mom usually gives us hoodies and books that I read to my sister, we also go to events too,” said Smith.

Sometimes, Black History Month isn’t really celebrated outside, like people going to events or young people talking about it. However, school is a guaranteed environment for students to give honor and dedication to the month.

One of the ways the month is celebrated is with live jazz music, played by, music teacher, Joseph Rizzolo. Along with a big announcement from Clarence Collins (Coach C), reminding students each morning to remember the history, appreciate Black History Month and acknowledge its leaders. 

Sharing this month amongst everyone at school can help teach all students to treat each other equally. 

People of color in America express themselves by fashion, such as braided hair styles and locs to a big colorful variety of clothing fashion. As well expressing themselves through music with genres such as rock, R&B, and literature like poems and novels. 

An upcoming musician at UACHS, who remains anonymous,  shares with us an African American artist that inspires them. 

“Since I make music, the few black musicians I look up to are Pink Pantheress, Hard Rock, Autumn, and Lucki.”

Rizzolo will be holding a concert in March for Black history. At UACHS, a handful of teachers love to create outlets for the students here to embrace and celebrate Black history. 

Lisa Sambula, freshman English teacher, plans to have her students research an African American figure to write about and present. Similarly, another annual tradition coming to us, is the “DOC Your Block, ” where our UACHS seniors present an idea about the society around us.

Senior teacher and head of the “DOC Your Block,” Jacqueline Rice will be having a group of seniors bring awareness to cases of Black on Black crime that has been going on in our community.

“We adults can learn from our students, it will be beneficial for students to lead Black History Month events…,” said Rice. 

School is an outlet that helps complete your identity, channeling all Black people and non black people to unite and celebrate Black people altogether. As the future progresses, there will continue to be various ways to acknowledge and celebrate Black History Month as we become more diverse.