The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Staff Spotlight: A Profile of Louis Gallo

Image of Louis Gallo
Standey Sauveur
Image of Louis Gallo

When you take a dive into the world of teaching language arts, you mostly think about the tragic heroes and dramatic plays. Most English teachers who have taught for a long time know certain plays or stories by heart, but former attendance officer, English teacher, and current tutor, Louis Gallo who has been at UACHS for nineteen years finds there is so much more to English than the stories we read.    

“I like the things about English that most English teachers and college professors do not enjoy,” said Gallo. “I love grammar, sentence structure, and I love teaching it.”

His love for the technical parts of English writing, helps him be one of the most efficient instructors at UACHS. Gallo has been able to get students motivated to work with the technical side of english. 

When not assisting the students at UACHS he also hones his skills in english by flexing his creative muscles in different ways. 

“I like to write short stories and screenplays,” said Gallo. “I also like to write songs.”

We all know about his knack for writing, but his acting skills may come as a surprise for many of us. His first acting experience came from the connections he held at the New York Business School. 

“There’s a Filipino pavilion at the New York Business School where I work and in a three year period, I played in two separate plays,” said Gallo. “I played a wealthy benefactor to an immigrant who came to the United States in one play and in the other play, I played a priest.”  

His acting career was brief, but it is a key detail in making the Gallo we know and love today.  

This moment in time prepared him to be flexible and prepared to take on roles like he does now. From English teacher, to attendance officer, and now to being a tutor, he finds that all of his endeavors have one thing in common and that is the impact he has on the young men and women at this school, and what he wants to get out of it. 

“The main thing I love about it is the smile I see on the young men and women’s faces when they realize oh, I can do this,” said Gallo.

If you find yourself on the second floor center in front of Garcia-Newton’s office you will find Gallo’s desk. He is always ready and willing to help with your English assignments as long as you have made an appointment.   No matter what he is doing, he always finds a way to do it with love.