The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

UACHS Spotlight: David Sanchez

Image+of+David+Sanchez+
Deshawn Murchison
Image of David Sanchez

David Sanchez is way more than just a hall monitor on lunch duty or a support staff member who guards the bathroom throughout the day. He is the person everyone can count on when they need something done. 

Born and raised in Jersey City, Sanchez went to school downtown at P.S. 37. Then graduated from Ferris High School with a childhood dream of playing baseball and having a career in law enforcement. 

“I wanted to be a Police Officer and a baseball player,” said Sanchez. 

However, life never quite goes the way we plan and at the young age of 19, he had his first child. He decided to join the workforce in order to support his young family and put his plans on hold for a while.  

When looking for a job to support his family one thing he had in mind was his love for children. This helped him find his place.

“I wanted to try working in a school with kids,” said Sanchez. “So, I came here to UACHS.” 

For over 20 years he has been a member of the UACHS family.  He has also worked as a supervisor in an archive company for 16 years. 

Sanchez started as a member of the support staff and hopes to one day become the facilities manager. 

“As of right now, I am looking to pursue a bigger role,” said Sanchez. “I am going to take classes so that I can become a facility manager.”

Outside of his work, Sanchez is a family man. He is a father of five, three boys and two girls. Four out of Five of them are adults now, with his youngest daughter being a current student here at UACHS. 

Overall, Sanchez does it for the students. During his time here, he has found himself enjoying the things that the students love the most. 

“I love the pep rallies and the barbecues that we have in the back,” said Sanchez. “I love seeing the kids having fun.” 

However, it is not all fun and games for Sanchez and most days at UACHS can be stressful. For him, there is one main thing that has kept him motivated all these years. 

“What keeps me motivated is my family,” said Sanchez. “When you are a family man you just gotta keep it moving.” 

He finds that to keep your spirit up and be fulfilled at your job, you gotta enjoy your time. Sanchez is an integral part of UACHS. He is what keeps the building running smoothly and we hope that he knows that as much as he enjoys seeing us, we enjoy seeing him. Thank you Dave. Here is to 20 more years!