College: A guide to less stress

Hannah Ortiz, Editor in Chief

For every upperclassman, the topic of college is known to be stressful and intimidating. Not everyone will share this opinion, but it is a fact based on the majority of students. When you are a senior preparing for college, the first few months can be the most stressful. You have people telling you, “You are already behind!” Then you hear that you have plenty of time to make the deadlines.

The pandemic was a time warp. While time was passing, students took whatever distractions that were in front of them, forgetting that high school was about to disappear and college was snatching its place. If you do not know how to start your journey, here are some things that you need to get done in order to start the process correctly. 

Number One. The SAT. If you do not have a College Board or Khan Academy account, I suggest you make them ASAP! Those accounts will be the biggest guide to college and SAT information. It is highly encouraged to take the SAT; knowing where you are at academically is necessary information. Even if you do not like your score, some colleges are test optional and do not require it. For registering, you can find that on College Board; for studying, Khan Academy is filled with SAT tests and practice problems that are reliable and free!

Number Two. If you have already taken the SAT and want to start applying for colleges, I suggest downloading the Common Application. The Common App is an easy way to apply to a bunch of colleges in one shot. Once you fill out all of the information it asks of you, you can head to the College Search section, and add as many colleges as you want. Do not forget, applying for college is NOT free, however there is no need to worry because College Board offers LIMITED free application fee waivers! 

Number Three. Keeping track of your application status for each college you have applied to is something you need to stay on top of. Another thing you need to be aware of is FAFSA. Financial need information can be found on studentaid.gov. Federal Student Aid has everything you need to make your FSA ID account and see if you are eligible for any scholarship or grant that is out there. Not only that, but FAFSA could possibly pay for the majority of tuition and fees!

Staying on track and keeping up with your deadlines are the most important parts of the entire college process. For some people, college is not the right path for them, but if it is for you, then this guide is the helping hand you have been searching for.