The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Love Bombing

The Love terrorist
Love Bombing

You finally meet the guy you have been searching for. He buys you flowers and checks up on you even while he is busy. It seems like a perfect relationship. This is true for about a week. Then what was once a sweet habit quickly becomes overbearing. All of a sudden the phone calls increase to every 30 minutes. They want to facetime you even if they just dropped you off and they are constantly trying to be around you. As time goes on, it becomes evident that the love is beginning to fade. 

Love bombing, also known as the master maneuver in getting someone to fall in love with you, has become a common problem in the romance scene.

The whole point of love bombing is for the manipulator to gain control. When they successfully overwhelm the victim with affection, they now can create guilt and influence over the other person’s emotions and actions.

Love bombing  has affected many people through the years. The most obvious way that it happens is when someone tries to capture your attention with excessive romantic gestures and compliments within a short time period, making you feel like you hit the relationship goldmine. At first, it might seem amazing, like you have found the perfect partner. However, as time goes on, love can turn into obsessive behavior.

UACHS junior, Madison Sims shares her experience with this unfortunate relationship trend. 

“It is a really crazy thing that has happened to me,” said Sims. “It feels amazing for someone to be that in love with me, but then it just gets annoying with their overbearing attention and gifts; I end up feeling like I am trapped when I want to leave the situation.”

In the talking stages of a relationship, love bombing can be especially tricky. Imagine this; you are just getting to know someone, and suddenly they are showering you with constant attention, sweet messages, and expensive gifts. It feels like a romance movie, but do not be fooled, it is a horror movie waiting to unfold.

The problem with love bombing is that it often sets unrealistic expectations. As the relationship moves forward, the love tends to fizzle out, leaving both partners confused and disappointed. 

The manipulator who started the whole situation will eventually get bored after finally romancing the victim and move on to the next. While the person on the receiving end will be left a fool wondering where they went wrong in the relationship. Be alert and beware, if it feels too good to be true it probably is.