The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Total Control: Screens chokehold on reality

As you leave your house to go to school everything seems fine. You are distracted and deep in thought when suddenly as you are walking into your homeroom class, realizing you accidentally left your phone at home. For the next eight hours, you will have to go without headphones on your head or checking social media. How will you ever survive? 

The use of technology is an addiction. It blocks out the outside world to all people who use it constantly. In this day and age just picking up your phone and scrolling through social media is just a part of human nature. 

Teens and preteens have little time off their devices. Technology has taken over their lives. Adults are also victims to technology’s hold with usage increasing over recent years.

According to PCmag.com, “On average, Americans spend 4 hours and 25 minutes a day on their phones compared to 2 hours and 54 minutes in 2022.” 

No longer is there human interaction and having face-to-face conversations. People are more likely to text and Facetime. 

UACHS Senior, Rahshay Herron shares how he also believes technology has altered the human experience. 

“I do feel technology is getting in the way of people’s lives including mine,” said Herron. “It is not just phones but other technology as well such as game consoles, TVs, and iPads.” 

Although technology is one of the many ways people connect, it has become a hazard. Interacting with your phone for an overwhelming amount of time can affect a person’s life and lead to mental health issues. People tend to isolate themselves and only focus on what’s in the palm of their hands. 

According to the Institute For International Communication, “All the apps, websites, news, and etc that technology gives us is brainwashing us to keep using it constantly, causing us to not have any sort of communication or life outside of our phones.”

Technology is a great help at times. Unfortunately, the majority of people go beyond the original purpose of technology and use their phones for unnecessary things which creates a disconnect from reality.