The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Watson Family

Being able to sleep in a bed, wear designer clothes, and have a place to stay are common things that most people take for granted. These are things most people experience daily with little thought, but what if it was all taken away from you? 

Back in January, UACHS freshman Yasmir and sophomore Jameelya Watson’s home was engulfed in flames due to an extracellular shortage caused by an extension cord plugged into an outlet by their gas stove. This led their second floor apartment to catch fire. 

As tragic as the situation was, the family are not strangers to incidents such as these. Jameeyla Watson opens up about her family’s previous incident with a house fire.  

“This is the second time a fire has happened,” said Watson. “The first one happened when I was five years old.”

Although there were no injuries or casualties, the majority of the family’s belongings were destroyed by the fire leaving them with hardly any of their things. The first floor of the apartment building had not been set on fire but suffered water damage. 

With nothing but ash and debris left over from the fire, the family of seven is now left homeless. For the past few weeks they have been staying with their aunt, Gale Watson. 

“Only a few of my things survived the fire,” said Watson, “I lost my ipad, designer bags, and most of my clothes.” 

Following the fire, the support from friends, family, and the UACHS community, the Watson family have been able to lift their spirits during these tragic times. To add to this spurt of good news they have thankfully been approved for a one year lease on a new apartment. 

Even with all of this good news the family is still in need of donations and support. All transactions are being accepted through the Cash App account $Katrina0624.  

The UACHS community is meant to spread love, and help those in need. Even if you don’t have any money to donate, spread the word on the Watson family’s needs.