The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Don’t prevent it, embrace it

An elderly woman coming to terms with the fact that she is aging.
Unsplash

“If you were to look in the mirror right now, what would you see?” Most people will have a different answer to this question. Some might see acne, wrinkles, sun spots, etc. While others might see no imperfections at all. Although the answer to this question varies, there is one thing we all have in common. No matter what, we are all aging. 

Through the years, the term “aging” has been attached to a negative connotation. Everyone has been trying to find a way to slow down the process. Some invest in skincare and others go straight to surgery. Whichever one you choose, they both deliver the same result, they slow down the aging in your appearance.

The recent increase of people using retinol to maintain their youthful appearance influences others to do the same, causing a chain reaction that has led to a negative outlook on aging. 

According to ClevelandClinic.org, “Retinol increases skin cell production (proliferation). It helps unclog pores. Retinol also exfoliates your skin and increases collagen production, which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving your skin a fresher, plump appearance.”

With the transition into a skincare-focused society that developed during quarantine, it made anti-aging more relevant to younger people. With the exposure to skincare and anti-aging products, teens have incorporated those products into their daily skincare routine due to the fear of getting wrinkles and smile lines.

According to CNN, “The subject line of a reddit post reads, ‘I’m 16 and thinking about Botox because of my forehead wrinkles.’ In the posts authors appear panicked as they ask for recommendations and reassurance: ‘If I look like this now what will I look like at 30?’”

During our teenage years, it is understandable to worry about our appearance, but considering getting Botox is a reach. Wrinkles and fine lines are normal since it is a part of life, but it is looked down upon due to anti-aging becoming more popular and normalized. 

Teens are spending more time worrying about whether they should get botox or not. However, what they do not realize is that by worrying about it, they are aging themselves.

Products such as retinol and Botox were originally made for the skin of people in their late 20s because if used too early, they can lead to severe damage to their skin, some of which could be irreversible. 

According to McKinzie Aesthetics Center, “Side effects frequently observed by our patients include redness, dryness, flaking, irritation, peeling, and photosensitivity.”

As the world continues to advance, there will be more effective ways to stop the process of aging. This will be true even for children. However, that does not change the fact that aging is a normal part of life. Every wrinkle you see on your face shows how much life you have lived, so why try to prevent the inevitable when you can embrace it?