The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Life’s a Garden, dig it!

“In order to bloom you must grow”~ Aly Aubrey. If you are looking for a way to help the world grow just a little bit more then look no further than UACHS. If you have not heard, our school is now offering a garden club.

Under the guidance of principal, Erie Lugo the garden club has been hard at work transforming a neglected corner of the school grounds into a thriving garden.This indoor garden features raised beds filled with vibrant flowers, herbs, and vegetables such as parsley, sage, rosemary, oregano, and basil. There are also  Mexican sunflowers, peppers, tomatoes and various other vegetables. Meeting every Friday after school the garden club has become a peaceful oasis for both students, teachers and other staff members. 

UACHS office manager Tamara Llambelis shares what she finds is her favorite thing about the club. 

“The most satisfying thing for me is planting the seeds and seeing their growth,” said Llambelis. “It is amazing! Seeing you planted something and it survived; it grew.” 

The club is notjust about planting pretty flowers, it is about educating its members on the importance of why we garden in the first place. Principal Erie Lugo shares a little about his plant knowledge and the aspirations he has for the club. 

“The purpose is to beautify the community and also to feed the community,” said Lugo. “We want to inspire more people to be gardeners because the world needs more gardeners.” 

The garden club has become a beloved part of our school community, bringing together students of all ages who share a common interest. It is a place where friendships are formed, knowledge is shared and memories are created through nature. 

UACHS Senior Gabriela Alatrista shares how she grew her love for gardening from her mother. 

“I decided to join the gardening club because I have always wanted to take care of a plant,” said Alatrista. “When I was little I saw my mom care for plants and now everyone in the club is kind and friendly.”

Even though this club has just begun to blossom already you can see that the knowledge shared and the connection and unity that defines the club will endure for years to come. All it took was a little bit of dirt under your fingernails and a lot of Mother nature. 

If you’re interested in joining the Garden club don’t hesitate to reach out to Lugo or stop by one of their meetings. Whether you’re an experienced gardener or just starting out, there’s a place for everyone in this passionate group. Join us as we dig deep, plant seeds of knowledge, and watch our green thumbs grow together!