The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A “wise” woman is here

Olivia Wise is much more than just the teacher that drags you to the ISS room. Born and raised in Jersey City, she always knew she wanted a career in education. Originally, she studied meteorology at Florida Memorial University. Then, she transferred to NJCU after her program was cut. While there at NJCU she studied english and history, eventually earning her bachelor’s degree.

“My school got rid of meteorology, so I had to go with Plan B which was teaching,” said Wise. “By that time I had my first child already, so I could not do the traditional dorm life.”

While it was not always her first choice; teaching had always been on her mind since seventh grade. She saw herself being a positive light in students’ lives, especially here in her hometown.

“I want to see my students do and be better,” said Wise. 

At home, she is a devoted mom to her two boys who are ten and four years old.  She finds balance in being able to leave school and go straight to caring for her little ones. 

Wise wants the best for all the students at UACHS and wants to create a bond with them, while at the same time making sure each student does not end up in her room full of “fun.” 

“My goal is to make sure all the students are where they are supposed to be at all times doing what they are supposed to do,” said Wise. “This is a school that pulls a lottery to get students into. It is not a choice; so if you are here you need to be doing what you are supposed to be doing.” 

Wise wants to make it a point in her career to create a bond with students while also making sure they follow the rules. However, the next step in her life is a big one. 

“What I want to do as far as the education field goes, is one day pursue a dean position,” said Wise.

Although her role as ISS teacher may paint her in a bad light to the students, her main goal is to help the most she can. 

“I love the classroom, but being the ISS teacher is definitely different,” said Wise.

Wise’s positive energy is infectious. As she moves through the halls searching for today’s new round of ISS residents she keeps it light while ensuring that students understand that this isn’t a vacation.   

“I may not see all the students,” said Wise. “However, I definitely try to make a difference in the ones that do come to the point where they do not want to come back.”