The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

‘Tis the season to find balance

‘Tis the season to find balance

The holidays can be hectic for many people. Making sure the house is clean, the food is prepared, or even the thought of presents needing to be wrapped and ready can be overwhelming. It should be a time for family and happiness, and it can feel like a huge weight on your shoulders adding on to the difficulties in our everyday lives.

Planning, shopping and finding time to spend with your family may cause unneeded tension and despair during a season that should be joyful.

According to an Cedars Sinai article, Dr. Michael Wetter states, “While the holidays do not necessarily exacerbate mental health conditions specifically, they do have the tendency to create more stress. It is the resulting stress that can then trigger or exacerbate mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety.” 

The thought of having so much on your mind during the holidays is the main reason why some people develop stress. Dr. Wetter went even deeper and found some positive way to help cope with these situations.

“One of the best things people can do to help alleviate some of this stress is to make sure they engage in appropriate and effective self-care,” said Wetter. “Such as getting enough sleep, eating balanced meals, and having sufficient downtime.” 

Even though it can be difficult to prevent  stress during the holidays, using good coping mechanisms can help to improve the ability to be calm and have happiness during these special days. The pressure of social interactions, financial strain, and the demand for perfection can  heavily weigh on some people’s mental and emotional well-being.Taking deep breaths before doing a big task, meditating, and making a wind/down time, are ways that can help people during the stressful holiday times. 

By finding a balance between responsibilities and personal well-being, people can truly embrace the holiday spirit, creating meaningful connections and cherishing the moments that truly matter.