The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Plan A: The baby project

Plan A: The baby project

Imagine a classroom filled with the sounds of cooing, laughter and tiny cries. Now envision high school students bustling around and carrying baby dolls that mimic real life newborns. Wouldn’t you want to spend a week with a tiny companion who relies on you for everything, all while still being responsible for school, sports, and your job if you have one? The baby project offers an unforgettable experience that combines education with real life responsibilities. 

The baby project is a simulation experience of caring for an infant by providing students life like robot dolls programmed to mimic real life behaviors. Each student is assigned a baby doll for a certain period of time usually ranging from 24 hours to several days during which they must attend to its needs just like a new parent would. 

Schools across the country have implemented the baby project to educate teenagers about the responsibilities and challenges of parenthood. These projects involve students taking care of a virtual baby doll for a specified period of time, teaching them valuable lessons in protective sex and responsible decision making. 

Sexual education and rights are a hot topic not just around the country but worldwide as well. The Guttmacher institute researches policy and is committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health. Their overall cause is to ensure that everyone has access to the reproductive healthcare they deserve. 

According to guttmacher.org,“Although teen pregnancy rates have declined in recent decades, the U.S. rate is still one of the highest in the developed world.” 

Due to this the need to teach sexual education earlier and more in depth is a necessity.

Scarlet Cespedes, a senior at UACHS shares her take on the baby project and why we should incorporate it. 

“This generation is moving too quickly and people need to learn how to take care of babies before they actually have one,” said Cespedes.  

Caring for an artificial child may seem foolish at first glance, however it serves as a powerful tool for developing empathy among teenagers. Students can learn how their choices can have far reaching consequences not only for themselves but also their child.

By introducing the baby project at UACHS, students will gain first hand experience regarding the emotional, financial, and time consuming demands of raising a child. Such exposure can help them make informed choices about engaging in protected sexual activity. 

Michelle Bruce, vice principal and head of the athletic department, shares her views about the baby project. 

“If you are looking at what it is like to be a parent, mother or father you can only speculate, but if you are caring for a baby everyday, you get a better sense of how time consuming it is,” said Bruce. “In a way, I think it gives you a clearer picture of what is involved.” 

The baby project also highlights the importance of healthy relationships and effective communication between parents. Students who participate in this program learn about the significance of cooperation, mutual support, and shared responsibilities in raising a child. It provides an opportunity to discuss topics like consent, contraception, and the emotional impact of unplanned pregnancies. 

This project is not merely a simulation but a tool that prepares young minds for adulthood while empowering teens to make informed choices regarding their future. As UACHS strives to provide students with an education that goes beyond the classroom, the baby project would be a helpful asset to its curriculum. No need for a Plan B when you have Plan A, the baby project.