The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Please, Just five more minutes

Everyone knows that when June hits it is time for summer fun and the later nights.  

As the school year crept up upon us, already adapted to our late night schedules, we are not waking up at the time we plan to.  Many of us feel fatigued all day because we continue to go to sleep late and wake up even later.  

Sleep is a vital part of the resting process. When you do not get enough sleep, you become sleep deprived. Being sleep deprived will cause you to have negative mood changes. 

According to Columbia Psychiatry, “when you do not get the correct amount of sleep, you start to feel anxious, irritated, delirious, or confused.”   

Teens feel that with the start of the school year their sleep schedule is a complete mess. Many students are feeling the effects of the long summer nights even now well into the second month of school. 

UACHS Senior, Veronika Cepeda feels that she is already starting the school year on the wrong foot.  

“It was difficult for me to wake up for the school year because I stayed up until around one in the morning each night during the summer,” said Cepeda. 

Although it may be a routine for most teenagers, it is a habit that needs to be broken.You should start adjusting your sleep schedule up to two weeks before the start of the school year. 

According to the Mayoclinic, “Without the proper amount of sleep you develop illness. When you sleep, your brain and body is active trying to fight off any infections or bacteria in you might have caught through out the day.” 

It is no wonder that so many students end up out sick or are unable to perform at their best level when sleep deprivation is robbing them of their ability to be better. 

“I feel like the problem as to why teens can not sleep is because we don’t have a good fixed sleep schedule,” said Cepeda. 

There is no denying that taking the time to catch some well deserved sleep helps you not only rest but also look your best. The following are some tips and tricks that I have picked up along the way: 

Take a warm bath    

Laying down in a warm bath could give you relaxation. According to Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, “make the blood flow easier, it also makes it more oxygenated by allowing you to breathe deeper and slower, particularly when taking in steam.”

Put electronics away 

One of the ways that I unwind is when it is time for bed it is best for you to leave your phone away from your bed. This is beneficial so when you wake up in the morning, you have to leave your bed to turn off the alarm making you more awake. 

Create a soothing environment  

Another personal tip that I find helpful involves the environment you are in. When people say create a soothing environment that means putting everything away and thinking about your day. You can write in a journal or light a candle maybe even read a book. Taking a warm bath is also recommended because it can help relieve any stress you may have for the day.

No more caffeine   

You should not drink caffeine as an adolescent. According to Web MD, “ Caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, nausea, increased heart rate, and other side effects.” Larger doses might cause headache, anxiety, and chest pain.  

Adjusting your sleep schedule is not always easy. What works for one person may not work for you. Try to adjust to a routine that you believe will work best for you. Every schedule is different but we can all agree that an adjustment may be what we need to get better, look better, and be better.