The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A life in numbers with Oussalem

At UACHS, students and faculty are buzzing with excitement with the arrival of new math teacher, Ali Oussalem. With an impressive background spanning continents and years of teaching experience, this talented educator brings a wealth of knowledge and diversity to the doors of UACHS. 

Born and raised in Algeria, Oussalem’s journey into the world of education began early on. He attended the prestigious University of Science and Technology where he loved math skills and developed a passion for teaching. 

“I love math, I am a math guy,” said Oussalem. “I love the fact that it teaches you so many concepts.”

While pursuing a higher education in Algeria, Oussalem majored in engineering. This background gives him a unique perspective on math, allowing him to see firsthand how math concepts translate into the real world.

After completing his studies, he embarked on a fulfilling career in education that has now spanned over 15 years. 

Having experienced different education systems across the world, Oussalem offers a unique perspective that enriches classroom discussions and encourages students to think beyond their surroundings. His background enables him to connect with students from various cultures making everyone feel valued and understood. 

“For two years, I taught language and French at a middle school in Algeria,” said Oussalem.

Before joining UACHS, Oussalem taught at both Camden High School and Newark Public School. Living in nearby Jersey City, he sought opportunities that would allow him to balance his role as a dedicated father while continuing to make a difference in student’s lives. 

His decision to work closer to home was fueled by his commitment to provide better care for his four children. With long commutes taking away precious hours from quality family time, Oussalem realized the sacrifices had to be made for the greater good. 

“ I was searching around, you know, because it takes me a while,” said Oussalem. “I have four kids so I have to take care of them.”

There is no doubt that his passion for the subject will ignite a spark within every student, transforming them into confident problem solvers. 

“ I want to see my students succeed, at a high stage,” said Oussalem. “That is all I want to see.” 

With each passing day at UACHS, Oussalem continues to inspire countless students through his dedication and love for math. 

His journey from Algeria to Newark and Camden ultimately led him here where he can make a difference not only as a teacher but also as a devoted family man.