The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Same School, New Look

Last year, we started the school year with unpolished floors, a lack of hygiene products and a school in need of proper cleaning. Walking into the building you saw teachers sharing classrooms, dirty walls and boring images. 

Now, when you walk into school you are greeted by the beautiful new front desk. The classroom floors are so shiny you can see your reflection when you walk. There is tons of new furniture, new classrooms and rejuvenated attitudes with the snow white walls being the finishing touches to the beginning of the school’s renovation. However, the path to get there was not the easiest. 

UACHS principal, Eerie Lugo, explains the original ideas behind the renovation,

and how their plan came to life. 

“Honestly, NJCU was looking to sell our building, probably to get a couple million dollars as a one time return,” Lugo said. “However, I convinced them to keep it since it will be paid off in a couple of years and on August 1st, 2023, it became effective.”

Now, with the expansion to the other half of the building and gaining the Athletics and Fitness Center back, each teacher has a space to call their own. From there, there have been plans implemented regarding the future of the building. Our “new school,” is going to have even more additions to it for the 2024-2025 school year. 

“With everything, we are looking forward to a 2.7 million dollar renovation,”

Lugo said. “We are looking to build an overall STEM program; a biology and chemistry lab, and a new teachers room. We are really looking to go all the way here.”

As of this school year, students have access to our newly established Zen Den. 

However, that is only a small look of what is to come. For now, the students can sit back and see what the following school year has in store for them.