The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Over Yondr

New school year, new beginnings, and a new policy which eliminated the big bad pouches. Originally instated them back in 2019, in the hopes of limiting phone usage during class. After a few years of non compliance, they are finally gone. The school has decided to put their foot down and change everything once again. 

According to the UACHS student handbook,  “Your cellphone should be turned off and put away during school.”

The only time you can have your phones out is during lunch or when you are out back or off campus. 

UACHS Senior Selena Nyguyen shares how she feels about the phone policy and why it is helpful. 

“I feel like there is freedom since there is no more Yondr,” said Nyguyen. “There is a sense of comfort having your phone on you. When it comes to certain things, it’s mandatory we have our phones.”

However, now that the pouches are not mandatory, students are taking advantage of 

the fact that their phones are easily accessible as their front pocket. 

UACHS Assistant Principal James Papcun believes that there is a serious problem with cell phones at the school and that Yondr was a good solution.

“Right now I do agree with Yondr because there is an issue with the phones,” said Papcun. “I do believe we as a society, not even just students, are addicted to our cell phones because of social media.” 

Students continue to struggle with the idea of putting their phones away especially during these early days of the school year.  

Though students may find it difficult to follow these new phone policies they are still set and have to be followed, phones should be off and away during the day until after school.