The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Detention? This isn’t High School Musical

Warning, this article will contain strong opinions on detention. Welcome back 

everyone! UACHS has reached the limit of doing too much by adding detention as a consequence. For those of you who neglected to read the attendance policy to go roam in the hallways like the trolls you are, I will be seeing you not only in ISS but also in detention. 

A new school year is an opportunity for change. Do not repeat bad habits; you are at risk of staying after school and wasting forty-five minutes of your life. With the best part being that you will be joined by your, “favorite” admins, have fun. 

Now that I finally got your attention, let me break this down for you.

Do not wait until the last minute to start attending detention. It takes only one tardy for you to end up there. At the end of the day, Vice Principal, Tina Garcia-Newton sends out a sign up spreadsheets. From there, you only have until 2:55 pm to get to wherever detention is taking place that day. 

However, you are not able to make up tardies once the month is over. So, for those 

of you who thought of attending detention the last week of October to remove twenty tardies; you thought wrong.

With the number of students who have failed for the year due to attendance. You should not feel that this new policy is an unnecessary addition. Instead of wasting the majority of your summer going to summer school you can make a change now and fix your attendance while you still can. Even well known hallway troll, Javon Mckenzie, agrees with this statement. 

“I actually had to go to summer school for my attendance,” said Mckenzie. “That’s a good alternative if you make it up.” 

If you have made it this far and actually read the story, congrats. You are one step further to not going to summer school.  For those of you who are still not convinced.  Take the risk either way, your chair is waiting for you in detention.