The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Snow White and the girlboss feminist

Once upon a time, in a not so distant land, the enchanting story of Snow White stirred up a cauldron of controversy. This spread among both fairy tale fanatics and modern storytelling lovers. The magic mirror reflects not just Snow White’s beauty, but also the ongoing debate surrounding this beloved tale.  

You might as well change the title of the new live action and make it a completely new story with how different it is from the original.   

For those unfamiliar with the story, “Snow White” follows the tale of a young princess who, after escaping from her wicked stepmother, takes shelter in the forest with seven dwarves. With the help of friendship, a handsome prince, and the fight against good over evil, this story has enchanted audiences for decades. With many swooning over its timeless themes of love, friendship, and triumph.

` According to DailyMailUK, “There is no prince Florian to swoon over, no focus on cute little dwarves, and no sweet young damsel to follow.”

This raises questions about how the remake would go. Yet, it also gives the impression of it attempting to be progressive; fully discarding the old themes.

The discourse around the snow white live action centers around the erasure of the original Snow White storyline that follows a very specific theme that makes Snow White what it is today. 

It centers around themes of vanity and jealousy, and that the support of others goes a long way. This fairy tale is supposed to represent resilience against vanity and jealousy but all of this is being stripped away from the storyline. 

The remake is missing the gentle nature and care that Snow White has when faced with these challenges. She is now a tough woman who isn’t afraid to throw a fist, supported by fully sized grown men living in the woods. This doesn’t quite sound like Snow White, or a classic sweet princess tale. 

Disney is most known for its slogan of “Where dreams come true” and the Snow White  live action is hitting young people with cold hard feminism, individuality, and power. 

Translating beloved tales into  live action adaptations have proven to be a difficult task for Disney, and Snow White may be another adaptation thrown into the trash bin.

While the classic fairy tale has touched the hearts of generations with more to come, it raises the question of reevaluating the message it sends. Despite it being greatly disliked by the public and those in the industry alike, “Snow White” is still due to release in March 2024.