The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Super Bowl Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday

In a few days, family and friends will sit down to watch what is considered the biggest sporting event of the year and the biggest football game of the year, the Super Bowl. This game, which will be held in Las Vegas on February 11th this year, is a championship game hosted by the NFL. 

This year’s Super Bowl bound teams will be rematching with the AFC champions the Kansas City Chiefs and the NFC champions the San Francisco 49ers. 

The First Super Bowl was on January 15, 1967. At first, it was called the AFL-NFL World Championship Game. The name was later changed in 1969 by  AFL and Kansas City Chiefs owner, Lamar Hunt. 

Each year the location changes to different cities and stadiums because it is the most watched and attended sports event. It changes in advance based on where it will make the most revenue. 

It has become a cultural phenomenon in the United States and around the world. Many people who do not watch football or are fans of football make sure to tune into the Super Bowl to watch the commercials and check out the halftime show.

Super Bowl Sunday has become a day for gathering with family and friends. People host Super Bowl parties and have snacks, food, and drinks. This is also a popular event to bet on. People put a lot of money on the team who they believe is going to win the Super Bowl. People use betting apps such as Fantasy, Draft Kings, and Fanduel Sports.

UACHS Teacher, Deshawn Tyler explains how he feels about the Superbowl, 

“It is a day to celebrate all the hard work the NFL players put in,” said Tyler. “There’s a lot of money made on this day too, from commercials and all.”

The last time the Chiefs and Niners faced off was in Super Bowl LIV in 2020 where the Chiefs won 31-20. This year’s Super Bowl is being held at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada and it is a highly anticipated rematch. 

The Super Bowl will be fun whether you are focusing on the game, food, music, or commercials. Here’s to hoping your team wins!