The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

From tutor to teacher

From tutor to teacher

The beating heart of every school is its english/language arts department. UACHS has some of the most passionate and dedicated English teachers who go above and beyond to make a difference in students’ lives. This year, UACHS welcomes a new English teacher, Edward Thomas Haines. 

Raised in South St. Louis, Missouri, Haines believes in the importance of providing a quality education to all students regardless of their background. Although his debut at UACHS is his first time back in the classroom after quite some time, he is no stranger to teaching. 

“This is my first time back after thirteen years out of the classroom,” said Haines. “I have been tutoring for eleven years prior to this and even wrote my own test prep program.”

Setting high standards for himself academically, Haines attended St. John’s University for two years before completing his studies at DePaul University. While initially pursuing a different career path in advertising, Haines discovered his true calling lay within education.

“I always liked reading and literature,” said Haines. “However, I was not always necessarily thinking about returning to the classroom because I really did enjoy tutoring SAT prep but times have changed for me.”

Once Haines saw the opportunity to teach at UACHS, he jumped at it immediately.

He knew that seniors needing an English teacher was an urgent matter and was ready to put his best foot forward. 

While he has been at UACHS for a short time, he enjoys the culture and diversity of it all. His biggest struggle consists of trying to fill the shoes of his predecessor. It has proved especially difficult since he has a different teaching style. 

“When I came across the opportunity, it was about two weeks into the first quarter,” said Haines. “My experience here has been very different, coming from a prep high school in St. Louis. However, I am trying my best to live up to the expectations Rice left behind.”

While this school year has been a challenge for everyone, Haines still approaches each day by putting his best foot forward and tries his best to impart knowledge on his students.