The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A new role for a familiar face

Once in a while, you meet a teacher who will leave a remarkable impression on their current students. An impression so strong that they let the upcoming students know how wonderful their experience will be. At UACHS, there are a few that fit this description but for the seniors this person is Jacqueline Rice. 

After spending five years in the classroom, the former 12th grade English teacher will be taking on a new role as the school’s service learning coordinator. 

As a whole, the school mission is built off of the concept of service learning; prioritizing a form of teaching which focuses on hands-on, meaningful projects. Rice’s new position focuses solely on coordinating service learning events for each class. 

“My role is to essentially approve and assist each teacher who intends on doing a service 

learning project,” said Rice. “I get to see what their plans are and edit them overall.”

However, as of next school year, her role will go further than planning field trips.

UACHS’ service learning is going one step further and is allowing students to spend the school day creating meaningful experiences that will go toward their future goals.

“The idea is that the seniors go to school half day and participate in a co-op internship,” said Rice. “It gives students something to look forward to, rather than taking classes your last year that you do not necessarily need.”

However, she will not be relinquishing her role in the classroom completely. While 

Rice’s new role allows her to take a step back; she will continue to supervise all seniors as they work on their annual, “Doc Your Block,” presentation. Along with that, she is still partially engaged with one of her English classes. 

“I have the chance to teach one dual credit English class a day,” said Rice. “So that for me, fills the teaching gap and allows me to stay engaged with students.”

With new beginnings, Rice aims to not only aid the students, but UACHS as a whole. 

“I like starting new things, so this within itself is exciting,” said Rice. “I have been able to prioritize the school and staff morale as well as the different activities to keep us connected with the community.”

Unfortunately, as the year progresses, Rice will have to slowly step away from the classroom so she can adjust to her new role. 

Rice’s loving and friendly demeanor has captured the hearts of all her students and although she will be missed in the classroom her new position will allow her to help even more of the students that attend UACHS.