The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Runners to the line!

The spring 2023 track season ended successfully with the Varsity girls team making it to groups for the 4x400m and Junior shot putter Dayvia Hickson making school history. With the opening of the fall cross country season the runners have even bigger goals. 

Cross country begins in August and it is an endurance based sport where you run long-distance and compete against the best in the county and all over Jersey. Athletes travel along different types of terrains, grassy fields, wooded trails and uneven paths challenging their stamina and agility every step of the way. 

For many sprinters, cross country offers more than just a physical challenge, it fosters a strong sense of camaraderie and teamwork. UACHS Senior sprinter Jeremiah Siland, expresses his feelings about the team.

“I think the closeness between runners is what pushes us, because if I know you are putting in that work I’m going to have to match that,” said Siland.

This year, our Generals are welcoming coach Daniel Arndt who is ready to lead them to 

victory throughout all the running seasons. He is a seasoned sport veteran although this will be his first time coaching cross country. Nonetheless he is known for his unwavering dedication to his athletes. 

“I have a small group of kids that come every day to practice and they work hard,” said Arndt. “I know it is not easy running a 5k for every meet so I give credit to who come and work with me every day.”

As the cross country season continues the UACHS generals will face more challenges and triumphs. They will test their spirits against fierce competitors all while battling fatigue, doubt, and the elements. However through it all, they will forge bonds and will make it out of the mud.