“Can you check me? It’s that time of the month”

Janel Paredes

Photographer: Janel Paredes

Melonie Johnson, Staff Reporter

Once a month, females go through hell and back while enduring their menstrual cycle. The pain that we have to go through is so excruciating that it feels like our uterus is coming out of our bodies. The thought that you might bleed through your pants is literally a girls’ worst fear.

According to the National Health Service, “the average age when females first get their period is 12 years old.” 

Around that time, your body is going through many changes and as you are entering adolescence this adds a heavier element to what should be the best part of growing up. 

According to the “Periods” article by Better Health Channel, there are three main types of stages of the menstrual cycle. The menstrual cycle is complex and controlled by many different glands and the hormones that these glands produce. The common menstrual problems include heavy or painful periods and premenstrual syndrome (which includes the continuous cramp pain for hours), and knowing when in the menstrual cycle a woman is most likely to conceive can increase the chance of pregnancy. With those there are also four phases which are menstruation, the follicular phase, ovulation and the luteal phase. 

The follicular phase is the part of your menstrual cycle when an egg matures in your ovaries. The ovulation is a phase in the menstrual cycle when your ovary releases an egg. The luteal phase happens in the second part of your menstrual cycle. It begins around day 15 of a 28-day cycle and ends when you get your period. 

Deciding on wearing a tampon or other menstrual products is up to the person’s preference. The most important thing is whatever makes you and your body comfortable. 

Wearing pads may be uncomfortable for some females. The fear of it being noticeable in your pants, and also having to keep going to the bathroom to check your pants to see if there’s blood or not is frustrating. 

Wearing black pants in school can make females more confident. A Junior at UACHS, Brianna Haley-Harley feels as though black pants would allow females to prioritize their academics.

“ Female students should be able to wear black pants every month for one week or even a few days,” said Haley-Harley. “They would feel more comfortable, and be able to pay more attention rather than wanting to go to the bathroom 15 times a day to check their pants and make sure there is no blood.” 

Although the black pants may cause conflict amongst genders, men will never fully understand what females go through every month year after year.While females have to endure their daily routine in pain, black pants would give them one less thing to worry about throughout their cycle. 

Even if it is simple human nature, women deserve to be acknowledged  and compensated for what they go through. At the end of the day, the pain they go through; mentally, physically and emotionally is valid. If understanding this pain is impossible then at least acknowledging that outerwear makes a difference will go a long way.