Don’t Pass it, Trash it!!

Harpreet Dhami, Staff Reporter

More than 48 million Americans over the age of 12 have used marijuana in the past years. According to the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, it is the most common illicit drug used in the United States. 

Marijuana use has been increasing throughout the years and is legal in twenty-one states including New Jersey. Some strains of the cannabis plant often called marijuana or weed contain a psychoactive compound called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that produces a “high” when ingested. There are many reasons why people utilize marijuana. People smoke to manage their pain, or for recreational reasons. Others are for fun, but sometimes for both reasons. 

One of the many ways to consume weed is through edibles which is common among teenagers. Edibles are food products that have been infused with marijuana such as cookies and brownies. They can easily be passed as normal food which makes it easier to access. 

According to cdc.gov research, “statistics have shown that about 37% of US high school students have consumed marijuana due to peer pressure.” Many teenagers want to fit in their friend group and some people use marijuana for stress at school such as struggling with keeping up with assignments or having difficulties with whatever is being taught. 

The National Institute on Drug Abuse states, “Teenagers who use marijuana perform academically worse than those who do not smoke.” 

Oftentimes, depending on the individual’s drug history, marijuana’s harmful effects on attention, memory, and learning can last up to a few days or even weeks.

Reported by Nida.nih.gov, “Recent analysis from three large studies in Australia and New Zealand, teenagers who frequently used marijuana were found to have much lower chances of graduating from high school.”

Adolescents are more sensitive to the impact of weed because their brains are still developing. 

Teenagers can have a hard time at school due to their weed use. Of the possible issues are issues with memory and concentration, and reduced coordination. 

Not every teen who uses marijuana has adverse effects, but they can end up thinking that everyone can handle it the same, not knowing that everyone is different. 

Learning about this substance and taking the side effects seriously is beneficial since it can affect your physical health and well-being. If you or anyone you know are experiencing substance abuse, please contact an addiction specialist. Receive help in order for you to get sober and take the treatments seriously.