Dobson: A mentor and educator

Janel Paredes, Staff Reporter

Alfred Dobson wants to leave an impact on UACHS students. He is a physical education teacher, now teaching Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. Like most of us, Dobson was born and raised in Jersey City, New Jersey. Growing up in Jersey City, he already knew about the school’s existence. 

“Growing up in the city, I remember when UACHS was founded and seeing how it had progressed, we all knew of it as the school connected to NJCU,” said Dobson.  

Dobson came into the new semester, excited to teach UACHS students. After putting in his application, everything went into place.

“As I got older, I learned about the job opportunities, reached out, put my bid in, and it worked out for me,” said Dobson. 

Dobson graduated from Saint Peter’s Prep, and afterwards earned a college degree from Kean University; majoring in communications and public relations. In college, Dobson had dreams of becoming a sports agent, but unfortunately he did not get this opportunity. 

“As college went on, I started realizing I wanted to coach, then that turned into 

wanting to teach, seven to eight years later we ended up here,” said Dobson. 

Other than being a physical education teacher, he is also the head softball coach here at UACHS, while also being head football coach at Snyder High School. With sports being a main activity in his life, it has spread throughout his family, as well as coaching together. Dobson, being a family man, receives strong support from his relatives. 

“My family is always involved in some way, shape, or form in everything that I’m doing,” said Dobson. 

He believes he’s made for working with the high school level of students. Building connections and relationships with students is an essential part of Dobson’s goals.

“Part of me coming back to teach in my community is to give back to the young women and men, to give guidance the way teachers did for me,” said Dobson. “My favorite part of being a teacher is working with the future generations.”

Although he cannot enhance everyone’s opportunities, he wants to reciprocate the same mentor energy for the students here, like teachers did for him.