Wrong Turn at the Right Time

Quran Butler, Art and Features Editor

A passion for anything is worth a million bucks. Once that passion reaches your soul it has nowhere else to go. Catherine Mendez is living proof that having passion will always pull you back to what you love.

Mendez was born and raised in Jersey City, but growing up in a Dominican household, with eight other siblings, she spoke Spanish 95% of the time until starting first grade.

“I started to learn English in pre-K and kindergarten, so by first grade I was already on the road to fluency.” Mendez said. “After first grade, I spoke primarily in English to the point where my Spanish started to suffer.” 

As Mendez mentions she learned how to speak English quickly. After that, she had a new passion for reading and learning a new language. 

“As a child I have always been very curious about reading both languages. As soon as I learned to read in English it was kind of like a spark,” Mendez said.

Growing up, she would pretend to be a teacher by using a chalkboard, she had garnered experience working with kids at a young age. Her family life allowed for her to develop connections with younger people easily. 

“I think I connect with students of all ages.” Mendez said. “My sisters all had kids young so I was always that designated babysitter.”

After she graduated from St. Mary’s High School Mendez went on to enroll in Hudson County Community College and studied nursing for 2 years.

“I started to go for nursing because I thought that’s what I wanted to do.” Mendez said. “Once I was in the classroom I realized I don’t like science or blood. It was a reality check.”

Nursing would have given her a good paycheck, but deep down she has always known that teaching was the route she wanted to take. When she had enough credits, she transferred to NJCU and switched her major. She soon learned that it wasn’t going to be easy. 

“It was a lot of hard work and a lot of self motivation and I had to really stay focused on my end goal, and thankfully I did,” Mendez said. 

She graduated from NJCU with her bachelor’s degree and went on to find work. Before making her way to UACHS she worked at a preschool for five years. Then she got a job as a teacher assistant at UACHS last year. 

“I started here last year as an assistant Spanish teacher. I interned with Mrs. Ortega during virtual learning. She let me take charge and motivated me.” Mendez said.

Though Ortega was helpful, Mendez’s biggest motivator and advocate in life is her mother and she one day hopes to give her a well-deserved retirement. It’s the reason behind most of her aspirations.

“I hope to one day be able to tell my mom that she will be taken care of and finally be allowed to relax,” Mendez said. “It’s what pushes me.” 

Currently, Mendez is enjoying her time at UACHS while teaching Spanish; she is sure that she will be able to bring an entirely new vibe to the classroom. One that encourages and enlightens all of her students.