Summer is Over, but Summers is Here

Janel Paredes, Photographer

Charmaine Summers may be a new addition to the UACHS crew, but she is already feeling at home with her classes. She is Introducing Web Page Design and teaching AP Computer Science Principles and is thrilled to finally be with her students. 

Summers started her teaching journey as a substitute in the Roselle School District for six years. She worked in the corporate world and then found her way into the UACHS family.

“I met the criteria to teach computer science at the high school level, so I guess I did not go the traditional way in terms of education,” Summers said. 

Born and raised in Brooklyn, Summers majored in Business Administration at Stevens University. In 2006, she worked in the financial industry, and was introduced to the Integrated Program. Receiving her graduate degree in Information Systems, led to her interest in Computer Science. 

As a child, Charmaine Summers got to experience many different schools and their environment as a student. Now, experiencing the education system as a teacher in Jersey City, the learning environment is slightly different compared to New York.

“I find that Jersey is a little more laid back, while New York is hustle and bustle,” Summers said. 

Meanwhile, as this being her first time teaching, rules are still Summers main concern in terms of keeping her classes in order. Implementing good class behavior and getting a feel of the students is something Summers has planned for. 

“Rules given out on the first day of class are a classroom expectation,” Summers said. “I want my students to be mature and know how to act in my class, but so far my classes are good.” 

Summers is a connected and understanding person when it comes to her students. 

We are all learning together; even as teachers, we too learn something new everyday with our students,” said Summers. “Whether it be about each other, or the topic we are on for that day, learning is always happening.”

Summers considers learning as an everyday achievement and that, as humans, we reach to accomplish in our lives without even realizing.