The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Lead for Diversity delegates look to break down stereotypes

Seniors Kevin Penaga, Jodhan Heera, Sky Minor and Jennifer Llambelis and Lead for Diversity adviser Hans Winberg show their plan for breaking down stereotypes at the school. The group represented the school at the LFD camp in July.

by Tiara Johnson and Ashley Ford

Breaking down stereotypes and prejudices in the school is the goal of the delegates who attended the 65th annual Lead for Diversity summer camp. They plan to work with the school’s Gay Straight Alliance this year to examine these issues, according to LFD adviser Hans Winberg.

Winberg, as well as seniors Kevin Penaga, Jodhan Heera, Jennifer Llambelis and Sky Minor, said they learned to recognize the different forms of bias in the community and how to tackle and reform these issues at the LFD camp in the Poconos July 21-26.

“Just like every year, students were remarkably motivated and changed by LFD. Every student said, ‘it changed my life,’” Winberg said. “The LFD delegates will work with the school’s GSA [Gay Straight Alliance] students to find out where stereotypes weigh in this school.”

Senior Jennifer Llambelis said that the GSA and LFD programs benefit each other.

“Both programs are similar as far as diversity and accepting everyone for the way they want to be treated,” Llambelis said. “The GSA could use the education that we learned from going to the LFD program.”

Senior Kevin Penaga said he was “enlightened” by the LFD summer camp.

“It exposed me to how much prejudice exists in the world and how it affects every single person in every aspect of our lives,” Penaga said. “Prejudice and stereotypes are such a prevalent issue in society and I feel like, as an educated person about it, I should do my part to spread awareness.”

Aside from the lectures and team building, Penaga said that he “really enjoyed singing songs together and bonding around campfires and that he wants to be a counselor for LFD next summer.”

Senior Sky Minor said that going on the trip was “life-changing.”

“I learned about matters that take control over the world such as body image, racial differences and sexuality and gay awareness that we notice every day in school,” Minor said. “The only thing that I did not like was the yurt [teepee like tent] that we lived in because it was cold late at night and in the morning.”

Senior Jodhan Heera was “very surprised” by the intimacy of the LFD summer camp.

“I didn’t expect to see 84 students coalesce. I was glad to meet people like the ones that I have made connections and relationships with,” Heera said. “A lot of the group discussions, trust building exercises, sing-a-longs, and workshops were very entertaining and emotional.”

However, Heera said that he would not attend the LFD camp again if given the chance because there would be no element of surprise for him.

“I know what to expect and I learned what I needed to learn to bring back to UA,” Heera said.

During the trip students were given a mission to bring back to school and enforce during their everyday lives.

Llambelis said that her mission was to bring back equality and good judgment because those are the keys to go far.

“During the trip we learned how to be fair and how not to judge a book by its cover,” Llambelis said. “I would go again not only for the life lesson but for the people I met along the way because they also helped me realize a different outlook on life.”

Winberg said that he will definitely be attending the LFD camp again next summer and that he will be bringing along four juniors to share the experience with.