Coach Funches : A vision toward the future

Photographer: Janel Paredes

Sofia Chen, Managing Editor

After playing basketball professionally and traveling to many places, Charles Funches returns to UACHS to start coaching the girl’s basketball team and serve as a substitute teacher. 

Born and raised in Jersey City, New Jersey, Funches was a member of UACHS’ first graduating class back in 2006. 

“A lot has changed about UACHS, but it’s pretty upbeat and still has the same spirit,” said Funches. 

He attended Hampton University, majored in Sports Management, but decided to become a professional basketball player abroad. 

Funches played basketball professionally in Brazil, Australia, Uruguay, Mongolia, Denmark, Mexico, and Chile as a small forward. He decided to take some time off from playing basketball full-time and is now a semi-pro playing for the Lehigh Valley Legends Basketball team. 

“Brazil was my favorite because of the scenery, culture, and competitive basketball environment. Being overseas taught me to be open to different cultures,” said Funches. 

He had also been training the youth to play basketball for a fitness program called Stack Fitness in New Jersey until the perfect opportunity arose for him.

“When I was here as a student, Michele Bruce was my guidance counselor. Recently,

she called and asked me to come coach,” said Funches. “I’ve always wanted to coach after I finished playing basketball, so it was perfect.” 

Funches’s main goal this year is to help the girl’s basketball team gain recognition. He wants to encourage the athletes to work but most importantly, to actually enjoy the sport because that’s what matters the most. 

“I just want people to look at the basketball teams and the athletes in a different light than they have in the past,” said Funches. “I want the girls to come together and just enjoy themselves.” 

Aside from basketball, he loves other athletic activities like hiking and bike racing. Music and spending time with family are also other passions of his. Although Funches loved traveling and playing basketball professionally, his heart never left Jersey City. 

“Basketball was taking up a lot of my time from my family,” said Funches. “I would do like six or seven months overseas, I figured it was time to start establishing myself here in the United States.” 

Now, Funches is ready to connect with the athletes and inspire them to achieve greatness. He sees the potential in the students here and wants the students to be equipped with the tools to succeed.