Commemorating Shavon, Our Guardian Angel

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shannon Lemmon

Shannon Lemmon

It was freshman year: Shavon and I had Algebra I together; taking this class made it easy for me to get to know her and grow a bond with her. To me, she was a very friendly person who always seemed to have fun with almost everyone she interacted with. It was clear that she loved to play around with others and we always had a good time laughing together about almost everything. Knowing Shavon, you could tell she held a lot of special qualities that one should cherish in a friendship. We do not have a lot of good-hearted people and Shavon was obviously one of them, which means she will never be forgotten at UACHS.

Shavon Hill Williams is remembered as a great singer with a loving, extrovertive personality. She loved to talk to everyone and brighten their day; she was known to be very caring and independent.

As a freshman, she was not familiar with the school and did not really know how to adjust to the new environment. Yet, once she started becoming a leader at UACHS, she started getting involved and active within the building, alongside with the community as well. As the year went on, she became friends with most of the upperclassmen and became very popular at UACHS.

Clarence Collins, “Coach C,” is a mentor at UACHS who knew Shavon very well. He tried his best to advise her into becoming a great leader.

“When Shavon was a freshman, she lit up the school and brought everyone up with her great personality that tended to attract people’s attention,” said Collins.

Algebra I allowed me and Shavon to always have a good time laughing together about almost everything. We do not have a lot of good-hearted people in the world and Shavon was one amongst the many that held such a quality.

Dating back to the end of school year (2016), Shavon’s remembrance was honored through UACHS taking a scholarship in her honor to commemorate her community service and overall love for school; her plaque can also be seen outside in the back of the school above the music room garage door.

Although Shavon was not able to finish high school with the family of UACHS, she is still with us for the last three years. We remember Shavon through many ways which is one of the reasons why students and staff wear purple shirts (it was her favorite color).

As graduation day is approaching for the class of 2019, we, as a whole, want to make sure her family knows we did not forget about her. In her memory, we are planning on acknowledging her on graduation day.

“We are working on having her seat at graduation and it would be nice if we get her mother wear her cap and gown, in hopes of taking her place,” said Collins.

One of the last memorable moments that students and teachers shared with Shavon would be the choir concert. As per usual, she touched our hearts with her beautiful voice. But above all, Shavon is a UACHS student who had a bustling personality and a calming voice that many miss and love.