S.T.E.Ming in New Directions

Back to Article
Back to Article

S.T.E.Ming in New Directions

Jamilla Burrows-Mincey

S.T.E.Ming in New Directions

We used to do science fair projects for a grade but now we are being introduced to the idea of doing them for money.

For many years, UACHS has been involved in the S.T.E.M. Showcase which stands for science,technology,engineering,mathematics. The S.T.E.M. showcase is where candidates who have won the science fair compete statewide with students from other schools.

Amena Akbary, a sophomore at UACHS, has participated in the S.T.E.M. Showcase for over two years now.

“It gives me the opportunity to meet new people and be introduced to future careers that I may be interested in,” said Akbary.

Some students may not join the S.T.E.M. Showcase because they assume that it may not be the type of activity they picture themselves doing. Although, almost everyone has the chance to be a part of this and experience this free opportunity.

Rita Bassil, head director of the science department at UACHS, wants everyone to attend this event to help benefit themselves.

“It’s opened up to everyone attending high school, you can do it just for fun or compete for a prize,” said Bassil.

Competing against people you may not know in the S.T.E.M. Showcase can be nerve-wrecking.

“At first, we were nervous but by the second time we attended the function, we were calm and knew what to do,” said Akbary.

Even if science does not happen to be your forte, you can still consider joining the S.T.E.M. Showcase by thinking about the other positive effects it may have on you such as getting a scholarship or an internship a at program.

“If you get chosen as either first, second, or third place, you will get the prize of money up to $3,000,” said Bassil.

Participating in the S.T.E.M. Showcase can give you the chance of getting recognition for your work worldwide.

“I could put this on my college applications, it introduces me to other related programs, build confidence and I can get money from this,” said Akbary.

The S.T.E.M. Showcase takes place annually. UACHS hopes that one of its students will be able to take the grand prize home next year. If you are interested in joining, you are free to join anyone is eligible to compete in this contest so you too, can have the chance to spark something up in the lab.