Better Be Safe Than Sorry

Samantha Badenath

Better Be Safe Than Sorry

In this generation, sexually transmitted diseases are at an all time high. STDs are infections that are passed on from one person to another during vaginal, anal, and/or oral sex.

Having an STD can lead to many physical external and internal complications. Becoming sterile,  painful movement throughout your body, as well abdominal pain are the most common.

Freshman Willie Williams feels that STD’s are disgusting and unsanitary.

“STD’s are disturbing and people need to treat themselves,” said Williams.

Many STDs do not have any physical symptoms, so the only way a person would know for certain if they have an STD would be if they asked their doctor to test them. Teenagers all over should be reminded that sexual intercourse comes with risks and responsibilities through the use of educational tools and classes.

According to Plushcare.com, an informational website on the different forms of STDs, “Symptoms and problems with your health are often the first sign that something may be wrong. However, this can be tricky as some infections present no symptoms. STD symptoms in men and women also differ based on the specific disease.”

Many teens in Jersey City are aware of the STD epidemic and take additional precautions to prevent them, such as abstaining, using protection, and getting tested for infections along with their partners.  

According to NJ.com, “The number of confirmed diseases such as chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis have risen about 25 percent in the Garden State from 2012 to 2016, according to state Health Department data.”

There is a great amount of sexual cases in the State of New Jersey. According to the NJ.gov, there has been 7356 cases of HIV, STD and Tuberculosis TB, separated by 7% male and 10% female ages 13 to 24.

According to mentalhealth.com, an informational website about how to maintain mental/physical health,”Condoms are used to prevent physical contact of the penis with other body parts during sex, and dams are used to prevent physical contact of the mouth with other body parts during sex”j.

Using condoms can reduce the risk of transmitting diseases, however, it is best not to engage in sexual activity with a stranger or someone that and has not been tested. In school, health classes are provided to help students learn what precautions should be taken in order to prevent these STDs. Robert Elia, the health coach and one of the few UACHS gym teachers, expresses how his sex ed class is beneficial. Schools all over take actions to prevent STDs. They have health classes and other informational resources.

“My health class helps students becoming educated on human sexuality, it will educate them about the risk, the danger, plus all the information they will need moving forward,” said Elia.

Many actions can be taken in order to prevent this, but the most important is to spread information that can help young teens.  

“The only action we can take is to educate students on the risks of sexual activity with that being said it will help them,” said Elia.

Health class plays a big part in educating students on the dangers of being sexually active.

“We are going to cover the different STDs and the different risk factors because there is a lot of myth versus fact,” said Elia. “There are a lot of myths when it comes to human sexuality, and some students do take that as facts so we are going to clear everything up and educate students the best we can on this topic.”

Contracting any STD can lead to future complications the safest options are to take as many preventive measures as possible to remain healthy or abstain from sex.