Young Guitarist to Music Educator

Jenna Ariza

Young Guitarist to Music Educator

Montclair State University graduate, Peter Diamantis, is a music educator. who hopes to make a real difference in not only the school but in the world as well.

Diamantis teaches others how to collaborate, perform, read, write, and record music,  he also produces music.

During his free time, he makes use of his time to do the things he enjoys. Such as, skateboarding, helping out his bands, reading, and watching Netflix.

Music educator, Peter Diamantis, teaches plenty of seniors, a few juniors and “a good amount of sophomores and a few freshmen”. If he were to teach a different age group, he would take interest in teaching the younger kids; on his own time, he privately teaches music to twenty students, in which are almost all at a young age.

“I teach like five-year-olds how to play piano, which is really fun when they’re first learning how to do it,” said Diamantis. “I like working with the high schoolers too because I can do more complex things with them, like really get them to think about stuff.”

At the moment, Diamantis is involved in two bands. Originally, he was a part of three bands but had to take a break because it took him “a lot of effort and time to be in three bands”.

Planet You is my main band, my other band is called Quagga, which is [named after] an extinct animal from the prehistoric era, an orange zebra and it looks really cool,” said Diamantis. “The third one is called Part-time Chef, which is a fun joke band.”

Diamantis loves his choice of a profession because he gets to wake up every day loving not only his job but also what he does, which is teaching music.

“Music, in general, is my life, making and writing music is my passion but I also love educating so like to combine both of those passions is amazing.” said Diamantis. “I wouldn’t want to do anything else.”

In his younger years, Diamantis often played soccer and was a part of a school band; whereas, he played the saxophone and the French horn. Yet, as he grew up into his teen years, a new discovery sparked his interest, which soon lead him to choose his said profession.

“I found a guitar through a family member and then I became so obsessed with guitar that I almost quit everything else,” said Diamantis. “I thought music was the only thing I really enjoyed and I also really like interacting and talking with people so teaching felt like something I could do.”

Other than being a huge lover of candy and having tattoos, he wants others to know that he wants to make a real difference so that he can help others and himself bring people together and build on it. He also wants his students, and other students as well, to know and remember that everyone has their own baggage, their own stuff they deal with.

“If we, as people, focus on those negative things about ourselves, then our outlook on life is going to be negative,” said Diamantis. “But if we’re able to recognize that [those negative attributes don’t define you] and you’re able to focus on those [positive attributes], your outlook on life will be better and you’ll be able to do the things you want without feeling bad all the time.”