The Honor of being in the Correct Class

Safa Mostafa

The Honor of being in the Correct Class

It is no secret that there is a difference between honors, Advanced Placement, and other general courses. At UACHS, one of the biggest differences is how you get placed into these classes.

English is already a requirement, however, students and parents fight for Honors and Advanced Placements for their students because stronger classes weigh differently on your high school transcript. Students considering being in an honors or Advanced Placement course should know that there are a few steps to take.

According to guidance counselor Marleen Martinez, students would need to receive an application from their teacher requesting them for a spot in Advanced Placement or Honors. Once the teacher has completed their portion of the application, it is passed down to the students. Students fill out their application and get a letter of approval from the former teacher for the class they will recommend them for.

“We meet with the students before the school year is over and decide what [classes] they need,” said Martinez. “We then input the classes into PowerSchool and they make the schedules.”

Although schedules are placed by PowerSchool, there are still a few errors.

Senior, Jennica Bruny, went through the issue of being in the wrong class. She was meant to be placed in Advanced Placement English III but found out she was not.

“Over the summer I saw that they placed me in AP English,” said Bruny. “Once I found out I was no longer in the class, I called my mother, I spoke to Ms.Rainey and they told me don’t worry.”

Eventually Bruny was placed back in Advanced Placement English III. Honors and AP English III are taught by Junior English teacher Amina Farah.

“All I can do is simply make a recommendation,” said Farah, “Having a high GPA isn’t enough. You have to want to do well or want that level of completion.”

Farah further explained that a teacher can remove a student out of Honors and AP class and into a regular class.

“If a teacher believes that being in [honors or AP class] will hurt [a student’s] GPA, the teacher can have that student placed in a regular class,” said Farah.

Ultimately, the decision to be placed in those classes fall on the student. If students want to earn a higher grade point average they, have to work hard to achieve it.