The RunDown With Hays

Jemere Shaw

The RunDown With Hays

He is a man on a mission!

Donald Hays is the freshman gym teacher and upcoming cross-country coach.

Hays looks forward to being the new coach for cross country this year.

“I’m ready to work with the kids, and I want to see all them succeed,” said Hays.

Hays has coached multiple sports that vary from one another. Hays has also worked with all kinds of age groups in baseball; such as youth in middle school, elementary school, students from high school, and college.

“I’ve coached baseball for 15 years, believe it or not, and this will be my first time coaching a different sport,” said Hays.

Hays looks forward to getting his team ready and being on the same page with his expertise.

“I sat them down and I said my expertise is in conditioning and coaching, so hopefully I can bring some new things to the table,” said Hays.

Hays has goals set for his track team and mentioned what he wants to work on this year, as he wants to put his team in the best position.

“As far as strength exercises, getting stronger, faster, and more confident in themselves as a team,” said Hays.

Hays prefers teamwork rather than doing things individually, which says a lot for when he works with students on his team. He believes everyone runs better as a team.

“I want to see them do well as a team mentally,” said Hayes. “I want to see them develop as a team not only are we succeeding as numbers but as a team.”

Hays believes that the relationships amongst coaches and teammates is important. He feels that the relationships that are built affect how teammates treat and act with one another when they are together as a team.

“Like did we win or did we lose I’d rather have a good relationship at the beginning, great relationship in the middle of the season and a great relationship at the end of the season,” said Hays.

Hays plans to have an impact on the kids in a way that is bigger than sports.

“I’m here to teach students and athletes about life, and success and that’s what I’m here for, that’s my mission,” said Hays.