Thompson Teaching Tomorrow’s Leaders Today

Jamilla Burrows-Mincey

UACHS welcomes not only new students this year but also a new teacher with a familiar face.

English teacher, Jacqueline Thompson, is from downtown Jersey City. She grew a passion for teaching while she was still in grammar school. She likes to see kids do well and wants nothing but the best for them.

Thompson is very involved with the youth and wants to see all kids do the best that they can.

“I used to work at New City Kids: it’s a nonprofit that employs kid all over Jersey City and we just provide them with skills so that they can be leaders and go to college,” said Thompson.

For UACHS, she hopes that she can enhance the school’s diversity, When she was in school, she did not have teachers of various ethnicities.

“Throughout my whole educational experience, I would say I only had like 4 black teachers, 1 hispanic teacher and the rest were majority white,” said Thompson. “I want students to have people that look like they are from the same area to teach them.”

During her childhood, school always came first before anything else and her parents stayed on top of her academics. Other than grades, Thompson always occupied herself with something to stay on top of her A-game.

“I signed myself up for summer school to learn spanish, the basketball team, and the swim team,” said Thompson.

Her parents had big aspirations for her to uphold and wanted her to choose a different path than they did. With that being said, Thompson got her high school diploma and ended up being the first person in her family to go to college.

“My dad graduated high school [and]  my mom didn’t, so they needed me to be the first in the family to do something big,” said Thompson.

While attending NJCU, she majored in English and was able to earn an English degree. Thompson decided she wanted to major in English because of how it is unlike any other subjects, whereas, “you have to do things by the book”.

“I feel like English allows you to be creative and it stinks that other subjects don’t,” said Thompson. “When you write a story, you can be as creative and free as you want to be.”

Thompson likes how UACHS gives her the opportunity to have close interactions with students. As for the upcoming year, she hopes that she can be able to mentor them to the best of her abilities.

“You guys (students) are surrounded by teachers that genuinely care, teachers you can relate to who do not mind meeting up earlier or after school to talk with you,” said Thompson.

She aims to share her experiences with her students and help them discover what they are passionate about and further elaborate on their developing aspirations.

“I think teaching is a unique opportunity because you’re able to give students the steps or tools that they need in order to become successful in life,” said Thompson.

Thompson is looking forward to having more of a connection with her students and for her, towards the end of their high school years, to see them walk across the stage with everything she has taught them in mind