The Importance of Your School Choice

Students+dancing+during+the+National+School+Choice+Week+ceremony.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Importance of Your School Choice

Students dancing during the National School Choice Week ceremony.

Shannon Lemmon

The Importance of Your School Choice

The National School Choice Week event shows the importance of student’s choice between schools.

The National School Choice is required in the state of New Jersey hosted in different schools around the area; this event occurs every year in the last week of January. During this event, students express their opinions about different schools and explain their reasonings behind their school choices.

In the past four years, UACHS has not participated in the National School Choice Week event. Due to the event’s success this year, UACHS plans to host it every year. Guidance counselors, Marleen Martinez and James Valentine, helped put this event together.

At first, students did not know the meaning of National School Choice Week since it had not been done in a while. Junior, Andrew Lester, participated in this event this year and was pleased with its outcome.

“I enjoyed myself and I would attend this event next year,” said Lester.

Students enjoyed the dance portion of this event. They danced in groups and  learned the National School Choice Week dance together. Most students learned the dance quickly. Everyone that went to this event received a scarf. Senior, Ivy Cleveland, attended this event and enjoyed himself.

“It was fun because we all danced and got scarfs,” Cleveland said.

The students of UACHS had to write about why they choose UACHS on a paper star. After writing about why they chose the school, the students started to understand the importance of National School Choice Week. Clarence Collins, a youth activist and mentor, helped and attended National School Choice Week.

“Our mission statement was why they chose this school,” said Collins.

The National School Choice Week also has an official dance for every year – which is also what UACHS included. During the dance portion, almost everyone participated.

“The kids had a lot of fun that morning because the staff made it fun and different,” said Collins. “Charter schools allow you to be more creative than other schools.”

After the students danced, they had a great breakfast to top it off. Everyone who attended, sat and ate their food together. UACHS students now understand the meaning of National School Choice Week which proves to be a big success. This event greatly benefitted the students by celebrating their future education.