Social Media Affects You, Here’s Why

Back to Article
Back to Article

Social Media Affects You, Here’s Why

A sophomore student logs into a trending social media app, Snapchat, during her lunch period.

Jenna Ariza/Ronald Gajilan

Jenna Ariza/Ronald Gajilan

Jenna Ariza/Ronald Gajilan

Jenna Ariza

Jenna Ariza

Social Media Affects You, Here’s Why

How much time do you spend on social media? According to the Washington Post,  if you are within the ages of 15-18, you may spend an average of “just under 8 hours.”

Oxford Dictionaries defined social media as: “websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking”. The most popular applications are Snapchat, Instagram, and YouTube; these online social platforms seem to be the never-ending trend that keeps people updated on everything going on in the world. Statistics from The Washington Post indicated that social media is mainly used by teens and attracts children as young as 8-years-old.

Senior, Christian Binoya,  has an 11-year-old sister who recently obtained her first phone and is an avid user. If someone tries to call her name to grab her attention, it will take three to five tries for her to look up at the person.

“I think that our youth today is the most enticed audience to social media because they are the most influenced through technology and are trying to keep up with what is trending among friends and society,” said Binoya.

Freshman, Aeden Africa, is fond of going on social sites. It allows him to connect with people. As for one of the downsides, he agreed that anybody could be influenced by the power of social media.

“Someone can see pictures of a certain person they want to be like; whether it’s a celebrity, a friend, or family member – it influences the viewer,” said Africa. “Social media just makes the process faster because social media is something the new generation of kids is more susceptible to.”

Social media has positive effects for teens despite the amount of hours they spend on their phones. Online, everyone is given the opportunity to connect themselves to various parts of the world.

Smart Social reported that social media allows people, especially teens, to have a chance to express themselves and build relationships. Although, Binoya, thinks otherwise.

“There could be good and bad consequences of being exposed to [social media],” said Binoya. “I have friends who were bullied and criticized through apps like Facebook and Twitter.”

As stated by Smart Social, teens who use social networking experience anxiety and depression. Evidently, social media influences a person and portrays the positive features but never mentions the bad.

Freshman, Dennise Ramirez, experienced a change of view on her body image because of model posts. It was a constant struggle for Ramirez to think about achieving things like “clear skin” or an “hourglass body.”

“Young boys and girls should realize that everything on the internet is not what it seems,” said Ramirez. “It’s all about being popular nowadays but they should know from a young age that it is good to be true to yourself.”

Social media involves itself in someone’s personal life. It can be said that people do not think twice about what they post but it is essential to know that your future can be influenced based on your past choices.

“Social media can expose you no matter what you post,” said Ramirez. “You are showcasing everyone what is happening in your life based on what you do and what kind of person you are. You have to be very careful and mindful of what you post because everyone can see it.”

Africa claimed that before he started going on social sites, “he used to coast off his own vibe”.  Yet, the issue of him not being as social back then influenced him to try it out.

“[It] influenced my art style and music taste,” said Africa. “Social media makes something popular spread so fast, that it hooks on to more people.”

The constant incorporation of new and old forms of social networking in technology is advancing and grabbing the attention of many users. Although getting mainly teens to limit their use of social media may seem impossible, it is important to think about the alternatives to the issue at hand.