School should have more preparation for SAT

Kenise Brown

Students who took the Scholastic Aptitude Test March 5 saw a very different test from years past. The essay is now optional, the vocabulary is more about using context clues than knowing definitions, there are only four answer choices and there’s no longer a penalty for guessing.

On the new SAT, scores range from 400 to 1600, “and there will be evidence-based questions on reading and writing, real-world contexts,” according to the College Board website. Free apps allow students to practice for the test on their mobile devices.

Students need a lot of preparation for the SAT. The College Board website states that students should “stay focused” and “study college-preparatory-level algebra, geometry and trigonometry, practice critical reading in English and American literature from a variety of historical periods and genres, and read complete novels, plays and poems.”

The SAT may consist of topics that students have not been taught. Students should study and practice for the SAT at least twice a week until the day of the exam, so they can know the process of taking the SAT and see what things they need to improve on. Extra tutoring will help the students prepare and improve for the test; therefore, students should apply for 0 or 9th period to get extra help.

Students should also make an effort to practice on their own. Students should practice trigonometry and geometry questions, even problems that can be difficult to solve. Reading more social studies, science stories or articles will help because passages on the test tend to focus on those topics. The more students practice and study, the better their knowledge and skills will be when they take the test.

Taking the SAT is important because scoring well will enable students to get into the college of their choice. The SAT can also help students if they don’t pass the PARCC exam. If they score a 400 or more on reading and math on the SAT, they will still be able to graduate.

SAT preparation should be incorporated into the school curriculum to give students a higher chance to earn a good score on the test. Some teachers use questions from previous SATs and combine them into a packet for students to complete for homework. Others give books about the SAT to students or go over vocabulary words to help students use context clues and practice using the words with sentences to improve their writing skills. However, not all teachers do these things, so the entire school should get involved. There was a testing skills class but ended when HSPA went away. Bringing back this class will help students as well.