Owusu leads successful track season

Ciara McCord

The spring track team was the school’s best in years, according to coach Frederic Williams. Senior Kwesi Owusu led the team by earning all-county honors in the 100- and 200-meter dash. He was the second best sprinter in Hudson County, Williams said.

Owusu finished fourth in the 200-meter dash and fifth in the 100-meter dash in the Group 1 Sectionals May 22-23 at Bernards High School and advanced to the Group 1 Finals in both events.

Senior Abraham Dizen, sophomore Ahmed Shehata and sophomore Kenny Fernandez all surpassed their personal bests in both the 800- and 1600-meter dashes at the state championships June 6.

“Track has been my passion since day one, and I’m thankful for being the captain of an amazing team who have made me a better athlete,” Dizen said.

Freshmen Justin Gomez and Jasmine Dorneval scored medals May 16 at the Hudson County Track & Field Championships. Gomez won the freshman title, and Dorneval finished third in the freshman competition.

“I was born to run, exciting to be on the team and I love running,” Dorneval said.

Owusu finished third for a bronze medal in the varsity 200-meter dash at the Hudson County Championships.

Sophomore Briana Younger finished seventh in the 100-meter at Saint Dominic’s Invitational April 6, and then tied for 1st in the 200-meter.

Gomez won the shotput with a throw of 46’ 10’’, while Dorneval scored a bronze medal in fourth place in the girls shot put.

The team started with approximately 40 members, but finished the season with 19, according to Williams.

“Major changes [were] made, [but we] lost some kids because of academics,’’ Williams said.

Freshman Wendy Lam said being on the team was a positive experience.

“I was able to cooperate with other runners on the team,” Lam said. “It was also fun, and we all supported each other during races.”