Generals win 4th division title, Lady Generals up their game

Alex Garcia and Ciara McCord

This season brought another division title for the Generals and improvement for the Lady Generals.

The four-time division champs went 12-0 to win the division and 17-5 overall, but were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by Secaucus High School.

Coach Joshua Aronowitz said losing in the first round was “tough.” He had hoped to advance further in county and state, along with achieving a division record of 12-0.

“It was one of our goals to go further in the playoffs. The boys gave it their all, but we came up short,” Aronowitz said.

According to junior Rakir Jones, one of the Generals’ biggest highlights was their 23-5 win over McNair April 27.

“Compared to the start of the season, we have made less mental mistakes and errors,” Jones said. “My teammates aren’t perfect, but they’ve had a great season.”

Senior Edeny Vega, captain, said “that things went well overall.”

Vega was named player of the year at the sports banquet June 9 along with getting an award for achieving 100 career hits.

“I feel accomplished, and I’ve been working hard all through high school,” Vega said.

Vega said that he plans to play baseball at the College of St. Joseph in Vermont, a Division II school, as a starting freshman.

Junior Dishawn Gates said that the team did well with Aronowitz as coach.

“Coach A is a great coach, and he gets the job done,” Gates said.

As a newcomer, freshman Joshua Leonardo said he was comfortable being on the team.

“Usually other people wouldn’t feel right being a new addition to the team, but a team that has a lot of chemistry and who open up to you, it makes you feel right at home,” Leonardo said.

According to softball captain Priscilla Sicard, senior, a highlight of the season was the Lady Generals’ 17-0 win over St. Anthony’s April 28. The Lady Generals finished the season with a 10-11 record.

Junior Jamilet Leonardo said the team had been looking to better its 3-7 record from the previous season.

The Lady Generals worked very hard during practices, and it paid off in games, according to Leonardo.

Junior Christine Castillo said that the return of veteran players like juniors Mariah Bermudez, Angel Rodriguez and Leonardo mid-season helped the team.

Sophomore Noel Vargas appreciated the return players.

“We had a lot of comebacks when we needed them, and I’m glad all our significant players came back in clutch,” Vargas said.

Coach David Yura also said that the season got off to a “slow start.”

“The other half, the team played better,” Yura said. “I was satisfied, but I feel like we let some games slip away; we could have won more games.”

Vargas said that she worried about her “batting average.”

“However, I had a high base percentage and that’s what college recruiters mostly look at,” Vargas said.

New sophomore player Tiana Grullon, outfielder, said she thinks that Yura is good at coaching.

“I feel like we will need a lot of work, so we will do all right,” Grullon said. “Next season will be very successful for me because I had the practice this season.”