Open mic showcases school talent

Isabel Rodriguez

Poets, singers and even a violinist performed at the school’s first open mic of the year November 19. Both students and teachers were among the performers in front of the multipurpose room’s full audience. Youth mentor Clarence Collins who hosted the event said “the vibe was awesome.”

“The talent that graced the mic was phenomenal, and the students felt like superstars,” Collins said. “I believe the students braved the crowd and approached the microphone like it was the ‘American Idol.’”

Physical education teacher Nicholas Morris performed a song with his guitar and said he “felt happy to see the crowd react the way they did.”

“I like the open mic, it’s positive for the school and those who actually participate,” Morris said.

Junior Chyna Lewis, who was one of the many singers at the event, said she felt “surprised” by the staff performances.

“I really didn’t expect them to have such great talent,” Lewis said.

Senior Brianna Smith, who performed a poem, said she thought the event was “great.”

“It allows people to express themselves and show off their talents,” Smith said. “Also, it’s like public speaking or performing, so it knocks away stage fright just a bit as you do it.”

The open mic was sponsored by the poetry club and allowed members of the school community to perform their talents in front of an audience, in any form of art or expression.

Sophomore Infinity Ferguson said she was looking forward to the open mic.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the poems and music being played, but I’d like to also see some dancing,” Ferguson said. “The open mic is a fun experience, and it’s nice to know my peers are participating in poetic and fun things like this.”

The event raised $150 for the UACHS Emergency Fund and the poetry club through the $3 admission charge and 50/50 raffle. The funds raised will be split evenly between the fund and the poetry club, according to Susan Chenelle, who advises both the poetry club and the Emergency Fund.

The school emergency fund is used when a student goes through a devastating event, like a house fire. A $100 dollar grant is given to the student’s family in such cases, Chenelle said.

Geometry teacher Edwin Rivera won the raffle held at the end of the event, but then announced he did not want it.

“I won the raffle, but I don’t need the money,” Rivera said. “The money is going towards the school’s emergency fund, which is a good cause.”