The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Renting a Tux vs. Buying

by Ashley Ford

Express offers a variety of tuxedos and suits. Prices range from $100 to $200. Photo by Moriah Santana

With prom just around the corner, male seniors question whether they should rent or buy a tuxedo for the occasion. Affordability comes into play when choosing between the two options. Renting a tuxedo could not only save time but also money, according to Michael Armstrong on mytuxedocatalog.com.

Deciding what to wear to prom or whether to rent or buy a tuxedo are hard decisions, especially when it comes to affordability and whether or not it is going to be worn again, according to alsformalwear.com.

Waiting to the last minute may not be a good option when deciding to rent or buy a tuxedo. It limits your choices when renting, and if getting it made or altered, the seamstress might not have enough time to finish the tuxedo.

Since prom season could be “hectic, the popular styles and sizes will likely be flying off the shelves,” according to Askmen.com.

“When renting a tux, It is better safe than sorry; always reserve the tuxedo as early as possible. In most cases, reserving it a few weeks in advance will do, but in the case of a prom or a more traditional wedding, waiting till the last minute won’t do,” as Chris Rovny writes on askmen.com.

Senior Alfredo Tirado said he decided to purchase a tuxedo because he could wear it again.

“I’m more into buying one than renting a tuxedo because I don’t have to worry about messing it up, and I know that it is mine,” Tirado said. “Also it’s better for me to just buy it because paying more to have something that belongs to you is not bad, and you could also alter it to fit your body.”

Knowing one’s budget is an important aspect when deciding whether or not to rent or buy a tuxedo.

Askmen.com said that a person renting a tux should take into consideration that “rental prices vary depending on how long you expect to rent the tux for.”

“In terms of budget, a person should expect to pay anywhere between $50 for a conventional tuxedo to $2,000 for top-notch designer formalwear,” Askmen.com said.

As far as buying goes, however, a high-end tuxedo could average about $2,000 just for the jacket, according to ysl.com, while a mid-range tuxedo could run $400 and higher for the whole suit excluding the shirt, according to Macys.com.

Timing is also important when buying or renting a tuxedo, if a person goes to the store late in timing looking for a tuxedo to rent, its a good chance the selection would be limited.

Senior Kerwin Butler said he decided to rent a tux because his “pockets” are in a “recession.”

“My plans are to rent a tuxedo instead of just purchasing it because it is the cheaper route to go,” Butler said. “I don’t have money to waste on something that I’m going even going to wear again.”

The Tux Shop located in Bayonne is holding a prom deal in order for students to have an easy transition into going to prom.

“Our certified formalwear consultants are ready to assist in coordinating the perfect look for the Prom, Homecoming, or Winter Formal event,” according to the store’s website.

If an individual brings in five friends to rent tuxedos from the store’s different sizes and styles, his tuxedo would be free and the friends would get a $10 discount. Also the store’s website (savviprom.com) offers coupons for $40 off purchases in the store or online.

“Sizes range from 4-70 and we’ll never charge you more for larger sizes. We offer hundreds of the latest men’s fashions, including Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Joseph Abboud, Perry Ellis, Ecko and Claiborne,” according to savviprom.com.

Inside the store, a customer can spin a bonus wheel for a chance to save $10 or even get something free, said store associate Fran, who declined to give her last name.