The Student Voice

The student news site of University Academy Charter High School

The Student Voice

The Student Voice

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Staff Editorial: Social media violence leads to real life violence

Over time in the school, there have been fights, which isn’t something to be proud of, but something to be expected. A huge influence on real-life fights and arguments is social media. Arguments started over social networks like Twitter and Facebook often are carried into the real world. The excuse that anyone who argues over social networks is an “internet gangster” and “has to” prove what they’re “about” in person has spread through the streets like a plague.

Arguments on social networks have a higher chance of leading to physical altercations because publicly posting arguments on social networks for the world to see opens the door for other people to add in their opinions, or “instigate,” which only adds fuel to the fire. What people fail to understand is that, arguments over social networks attract a lot of hype not because they have supporters, but because people want to be entertained.

Social networks are just for that, being social and networking, not to argue and call other people out of their name. When signing up for social networks, it is implied that users are mature enough to handle the content that will be displayed. Everyone in the world isn’t going to agree on the same thing 100 percent. There are going to be people in the world who dislike each other, but being the bigger person and walking away will get anyone much further than fighting. Kill enemies with success. Don’t worry about fighting because all that’s proving is that a bright future means nothing.

It takes a strong person to get up and walk away from an argument rather than turning around and swinging. The future will be much brighter if fights are avoided and arguments are settled in a calm and mature manner.